In the session with Lorraine we were talking about frames and amount of frames etc and storyboarding and rendering, she gave us some key terminology and information to help us.
Since our current brief is letterforms only, she gave us an excersise with a flipbook to use one letter and create movement throughout with this one letter. I chose 'S' and attempted to make the letter shatter, grow and move.
Tuesday, 30 November 2010
I took a quick look at definitions, links and the thesauraus for a broader range of knowledge on each word to hopefully extend my thinking.
Monday, 22 November 2010
Throughout this module I feel like I have learnt a great deal and gained a lot from it. As well as knowledge about print and processes I have improved my use and skills on software like Illustrator and InDesign. Before hand I would always avoid using Illustrator anyway I could because I hated it but even using it for basic things in this module has improved my confidence on it. I feel like I have been more practical with this module too, trying new skills like embossing, foiling and screen-printing.
I don’t think my research is that strong actually for this module, although I have tried out and experimented with techniques I am aware that my primary research could be extended a great deal I just found that I wanted to get making and be more practical with this module which is the wrong approach because you need to be informed. Although I did find myself looking at a great deal of existing product ranges, and printing and finishing techniques for my secondary research. Looking at existing ranges really informed the decisions I made for my range because it motivated me to try and create something which could exist in the real world, even if it didn’t turn out that way.
I think my strengths have been trying out new techniques, trying out things I was possibly ‘afraid’ of using, the likes of Illustrator. Also I think I have kept on top of my work in terms of blogging and documenting. Where I maybe have been more weak is in ideas, I tended to come up with an idea vary this a little bit and I spend ages coming up with the best e.g. embossing, I spent ages coming up with the most suitable logo to emboss, another mistake I made was changing my stock at the last minute, I decided to bring in some silver and without even testing this out the screen printing and foiling basically went wrong leaving me with no time at the end to re-do them so consequently I ended up unhappy with some of my final products. I know for next time I need to make these kinds of decisions earlier on and test things out before going ahead with it.
Next time I will hopefully put more effort into primary research, expand on a range of ideas and not just focus on one, improve crafting skills, I believe these can be improved greatly and make decisions earlier on, leaving time to try and test things out. Lastly I would like to maybe work on a more fun concept although I did like the fact that I did something different as last year everything I did was a light hearted approach and this was more of a sensible and professional outlook even if it doesn’t look that way.
From this module I have gained a clearer direction of the work I like and would like to steer towards. I have loved learning as well as designing and making, it has made this module a lot more interesting and enjoyable.
Quantity of work- 3
Quality of work- 3
Friday, 19 November 2010
InDesign grid for magazine layout. I've included one main photograph of the range, a column of text down the side, the logo, name of the range and a small description so that the main focus is the image.
I then placed the double page spread inside an existing magazine and photographed it to look like it is part of the magazine, magazines that you would find in store in places like Waitrose and Harrods with delicatessen food sections inside their stores.
Wednesday, 17 November 2010
Monday, 15 November 2010
Initially I wanted to use black on black (black foiling on black card) after I tried it out in the print room. However when I was on the hunt for some black stock I came across silver and needed to try it out.
Don't want to just use one colour so I'm going to try a range where they alternate and if this doesn't work then I'll just make two ranges,one silver, one black. I think they work reallt well together though and have the look of 'party' and sophisitcated. Only thing is is that the silver has a matt finish and the black doesn't, so together this might not work.